Sunday, November 11, 2012

Classroom Confidential 10

Hello
Chapter 10,
What's the big deal about social justice? Why are the ideas of chapter 10 important for a Christian teacher?

I am a strong supporter of social justice. At Trinity I have been in the social justice chapter, and have participated in social justice programs. I was excited to read this chapter and find it was a bout social justice. I would say, from my own experience, that the big deal about social justice is that it presents itself as everyday problems that people fail to see. I love the quote, "great teachers are social activists at heart" to me that speaks volumes that you as a teacher are a social activist. I also really enjoyed the quote  "when you're teaching social justice, the curriculum is ourselves." We become the example we are supposed to set for our students. This is done only through modeling what we want our students to learn.

As a Christian teacher we are called to take care of the Earth and it's inhabitants. I have found that this has been a great way to keep the cultural mandate. I have also been able to share my love of social justice with my students and my colleagues through following the cultural mandate. I am excited to share this with my students and look forward to implementing social justice in my classroom.

Thanks, Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,

    I'm glad this chapter was near to your heart. It is an issue that I hope you will advocate for when you are a teacher as well (I'm thinking you will).

    Good quote choice.

    Dr. Meyer

    ReplyDelete