Hello,
Chapter 6
Discuss some ways that you could use the strategies from chapter 6 in your own teaching, even if you don't teach writing.
Something that I found interesting from this chapter was the first sentence. "Some kids love to write." (113) This is true. When I was at my first placement my CT asked the students who liked to write. Very few students raised their hands. However, there were a select few that truly did love writing. One of my seventh grade students was even starting to write a novel called "Fat."
The one concept that I already see working in my current classroom is the use of journals. The journals get the students warmed up to the classroom and transition from the noisy hallway to the classroom.
I also really liked the idea of everyone being the editor. This is a step in the writing process that I also struggle with. The idea that everyone in the class is an editor and not just the teacher the students can learn to become better editors and by default better writers.
Finally, I really liked his ideas on growing a writer. This is something that I like to try with my own students. Writers are not born, they blossom It took me a long time to realize that in school. My CT does a good job of explaining that to the students. He told them this week that they need to be matadors and not bulls when writing. They need to control the writing not charge at it. He also informed them that this comes with time. I like the idea of this and want to incorporate it in my own classroom. This was a great chapter for the classic English teacher.
Courtney
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI think you and I have a very similar classroom in the way that not many of my students like to write either. I feel like a big part of it is seen as a negative consequence for something they have done. However, I am having them write Halloween stories. I told them we could put them online if they were all well written. So far, everyone is very enthusiastic about editing and peer reviewing their papers.. We'll see how it goes.
At fifth grade, I can see how pretending to be the teacher would be fun. In high school the appeal has kind of worn off. I'm hoping to make a twist on it. :)
DeleteCourtney,
ReplyDeleteI also quoted Schmidt's first sentence in my blog last week. (Well, I quoted the first couple of sentences, but the first sentence really covers the main point of the chapter.)
I had students write a short story for our creative/narrative writing unit. These were due over a month ago. Today, I have a handful of students who come visit me before and after school to work on new stories they are writing - simply because they want to! It feels so good to see my students writing. They are not rewarded or extrinsically motivated - it all comes from passion within.
I'm just a happy teacher :)
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed this chapter in Schmidt. I know that you will work to instill in your students a passion for writing. I've already seen some of that in your blogs and reviewing your lesson plans.
I love the idea of having students journal with they enter the classroom. I agree that it provides a great transition into the class environment and sets the stage for learning.
Your cooperating teacher has a great way with words and I appreciated the analogy. I hope writing is going well this week.
Dr. Meyer