Hello,
I can't believe that this was my last week in middle school. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot. I have found that middle school requires a lot of repetition of work, directions, and discipline. I believe that my next placement will tell me if middle school education is for me.
Monday-
My CT had to go to a common core meeting so she asked me to teach half the day. The students were to work in the computer lab and work on a founding fathers essay that the entire 7th grade was doing for the principal. I found that they appeared to work really well in the computer lab.
Tuesday-
My CT and I quickly found out that the students do not know how to look up information on the internet. They did not find the proper information and were acting unruly in the computer lab throughout the entire day. So my CT had them do book work as a punishment.
Wednesday-
The students worked in the computer lab and did some work on their papers. The CT revised what the paper should be about so that they could find the information that was easier to locate on a website and would transition into a outline more effectively. I also observed the math teacher today. I learned a bit about classroom management. He informed me that his control of the class comes with years of teaching and because I am still learning it is something that I will apply later on in life. On a funny note: a student proposed to me to day. :) He asked me if I was married, when I replied no he got down on one knee. I told him to get up right away. He said it was the only way to get me to stay, but I told him that it was inappropriate. It was funny to me.
Thursday-
Today, I helped some of the lower kids with their outlines for their papers. I also was able to observe the social studies teacher and learn from her style. Today, I handed out the buttons I made for all of students to the last core of the day as I will not see them on Friday. I found that they were genuinely surprised that I got something for them as a goodbye.
Friday-
Today, my CT surprised me with a pizza lunch, a huge poster from all the kids with notes saying good bye, and a surprise party at the end of the day from the students. I even got a gift from one of my students. I was so shocked at how much the students actually cared that I was leaving. Later that night I I thought about how much I was going to really miss those students. I promised that I would visit soon.
I learned a lot about #10 Reflection and Professional Growth: "The competent teacher is a reflective practitioner who continually evaluates how choices and actions affect students, parents, and other professionals in the learning community and actively seeks opportunities to grow professionally." I have truly learned a lot about teaching these past seven weeks and I am interested to see what I will learn from a high school setting. I am honestly worried about this next placement, but I know that I will learn even more.
Courtney
I'm glad you ended so well at this placement. I'm sure you learned a lot about management and teaching middle schoolers.
ReplyDeleteIt seems as if the computer lab experience needed more structure. Have you given any thought about what you might do differently if that was your own class of students? Would you have structured the assignment any differently?
It was cute that the student proposed to you. I don't suppose that will happen in high school. I don't think they will fall in "like" with you as easily as middle schoolers. You are going to have to gain their respect.