Hello,
This has been a extremely busy week.
Monday
Today, was a shortened day (25 minutes a class) due to late start. I just had the regular students work on ACT/Plan prep, they were not really happy about this. However, the Plan test is Thursday. The honors students worked on a method of editing that I really like. They were to write Stumbles, meaning there was a word problem in their essay; Marbles, meaning there was a sentence problem in their essay; or Gravy, meaning there was as structure problem in their essay. I really like the idea of the students actually grading for this. The fun part about this was a that the students shouted these things out when they read the paper out loud. I'm definitely going to take this with me when I leave.
Tuesday
I was literally worn out today. I was going to be observed and I had planned the lesson for that day. Honors students finished up their work on peer editing. I then had them go through a benchmark checklist so they would understand and know the criteria for the paper due Friday. I then had them work on some ACT/PLAN testing prep. They hated that, but I told them, just as I told my Regulars, that if you don't do it, it's only going to hurt you, not me. For Regulars, I had a PowerPoint of the Benchmarks for their papers, also due Friday. I then had a sample article that they needed to correct with the Benchmarks we just went over. Finally, I had them look over their papers to check for the the criteria in their own paper. I also worked with my troubled student during seventh period. He did not complete any more work than what we worked on Friday. It was frustrating. I told him that he had to do the rest himself and that I would be siting there if he really needed help. 8th period was fun,the students wanted me to read their papers, so I gave them suggestions to work on before Friday.
Wednesday
Today, the students had course selection. So, the counselors pulled out the students during their English class periods. This was somewhat frustrating because 2 minutes into each of my classes, 80% of my class was called down to their respective counselors. I couldn't get much instruction in, but I did encourage the students to ask me questions about their papers and any questions they had about the class. Some of my students utilized this time, others did not. I did, however, write my school email address on the board if they have any burning last minute questions before Friday. I will not see my classes tomorrow because they have PLAN testing. I also informed my students that I get to school at 7:15; and that day, Wednesday, I would be staying after school until 4:15 pm. I had two students come in after school that day. It was somewhat disappointing. However, I realized that I am there for those two students just as much as I am for the entire classroom full of students. At the very least, two students came in and received the help they needed. Finally, one my students told me that I was going to be a great teacher. That made my day.
Thursday
Today is testing day. Let me just first say, that I believe that is extremely counterproductive for the state to have testing for students in November instead of April. In saying that, the students had a half day full of testing and were released at noon. My CT allowed me to leave for the day with the students. I was able to proctor an exam which is not nearly as fun as you would think. It was ridiculously boring. However, I got a chance to interact with some of my first period students. There is a funny bunch in that class. All in all, it was a learning experience.
Friday
My student's papers were due today. However, I had excuses up the wazoo of why some of them didn't have them completed. It was frustrating and disheartening to find that I had given them so much forewarning only to have a large portion of my regular students not turn in the essay. However, the student that I have been working with turned in his essay! I am so excited! I know it is not the best, but I did work with him and I told him my expectations and he met them! I can't wait to read his paper! I also told one of my students, who said English was her worst subject and she was concerned about the ACT that I would work with her on ACT prep. I let her borrow one of my grammar books and I told her I could meet with her during the resource hour as long as I'm there. I also went out this evening to purchase some English ACT books for my classroom. On a side note, one of my students (not the same one) told me that I'm a pretty good teacher before he left class. I had a lot of fun 8th period. I taught half the class in an English accent. The student in response answered and asked questions in an English accent.
**************************************************************
This week has taught me when you set expectations your students are more than likely to meet them. Which brings in the standard #5 of creating a welcoming learning environment. "The competent teacher uses an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation." I think I am slowly but surely finding the motivation for each student, bit by bit. I am excited to see what will happen in these last few weeks.
Courtney
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteI think the stumbles, marbles, and gravy is an interesting idea. I'm glad it works for you and you will use it again in your teaching!
Sounds like an interesting week with course selection, ACT prep, and PLAN testing. I'm glad you were able to get some affirmation from students in spite of your week. I'm glad students are affirming you as well.
I hope you find ways to motivate your students these weeks before the holidays. Have a great shortened week.
Dr. Meyer