Friday, December 7, 2012

Classroom Confidential 12

Hello,

My plans for being a life long learner include always remaining in school. The last thing my  Grandfather asked me to do before he passed away was to get all of my "schoolin'" done. I eventually want to obtain my doctorate. I have found through my experience of teaching that I love the process of learning and share that love with others. I also like obtaining new information. I have missed being a student this semester and I am looking forward to returning to school. However, I know it will never be the same. Graduate school is different than undergraduate.

I actually found the section on Student teachers insulting as well as interesting. However, when he said, "they make you think," I asked myself if I challenge my CT. He is an intelligent teacher. To be honest, I found it really interesting that having a student teaching is a rewarding experience. I am not planning on teaching for that long, I have other career goals, but I think that the act of passing what you know to someone else is a great idea.

I also thought that the information on mentoring was great. I've had good mentors, that followed this criteria,  and those that were bad who did nothing at all. The advice to new teachers was also well placed. Reading professional journals is something that I definitely need to incorporate into my life.

All in all, this was a great book. It has a lot of helpful information and resources to become a better teacher  I will be using it as a reference to my teaching experiences.

Courtney

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad this chapter helped you. I hope it wasn't too insulting.

    I do think you challenged your cooperating teacher. I'm thinking that you do not fit a mold of doing the status quo (which is a good thing) and that's what he expected to have.

    I hope you follow your dreams and grandfather's wishes of continuing to learn and study. Excellent teachers do just that!

    Dr. Meyer

    ReplyDelete