Based on Schmidt chapter seven, how will you use the community in your own classroom? Cite Schmidt in your response. What are compelling reasons for doing so?
Great Teachers are Escape Artists
I believe the community is the spine of a classroom. Chapter seven states, "community-based projects put kids in the driver's seat"(141). I am a big fan of the kids controlling their own education and learning. There is a difference between the students controlling the classroom and the teacher lacking classroom control. I also enjoyed how the chapter stated that community based projects are academically and socially rigorous. Building a community is a important aspect of teaching and learning. When students understand the importance of community they can learn to respect and honor their classmates and teachers.
Finally, I enjoyed the idea of the students finding out what a community is and what it means to them as a classroom. When they understand why community is important they can learn to incorporate community in their everyday lives. I believe that something simple like putting my students in groups will allow me to work with multiple students at once and for students to experience the classroom with different peers. I also believe that integrated lessons are a good way to build community. I am interested in finding new ways to incorporate community everyday in the classroom.
Courtney
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteYour comment about community being the spine of the classroom is a good one. I'm wondering if you read about how to incorporate community and community experiences into your teaching. The chapter focused on the community outside the classroom. Have you ever thought about how you could incorporate the communities from which students come from into your teaching.
Just some thoughts to consider. I think this chapter has a lot more to offer you.
Dr. Meyer