Saturday, September 15, 2012

Classroom Confidential 4

Hello,

1. Describe how your understanding of culture was enhanced or changed by your reading of chapter 4 in Schmidt.


I feel that I have a decent understanding of culture. Schmidt's ideas and concepts of culture are merited. A few concepts that I found interesting are:

  • "Great teachers reject the deficit model and recognize that all kids have personal strengths that spring directly from their families and the culture in which they were raised." (69)
    • If a great teacher calls to do this then I am more than willing to recognize a student's strengths. This should be a natural thing to do as a teacher.
  • "Through narratives, conversations, jokes, and direct instruction, he gives them access to the unstated rules and intricacies of the dominant culture and explicitly tells them how they can make it work for them." (71)
    • Making it work for the students it a key factor, I believe, in introducing culture to the classroom. Giving access to these things is how the students will naturally adopt culture in the classroom. 
  • "Pay individual attention to your students. Greet each one personally as they arrive."(85)
    • I think this is important because it was something that was never done for me. To be noticed by an adult in a room of other students is powerful. This is something I am working on even while student teaching. 
  • I also love the idea of reading aloud. I would like to try this during homeroom, but I know I will not be able to finish the book before I leave my placement. I definitely want to try this for my own classroom one day. I love modeling reading, it makes reading more fun for the student and the teacher.
  • I also liked how he outlined the culturally inappropriate materials. These are important to remember and notice while teaching.
    • It emphasis inclusion which is vital.
I have found that inclusion was what I took away from this chapter. It is one of the main points of culture in the classroom. Without it culture will flop and fall. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the approach you took in responding to some key ideas in this chapter. You selected some great parts and supported your choices with sound reasoning.

    I'm glad you are thinking about reading aloud in your own classroom some day.

    Strong points made in this post!

    ReplyDelete