This week:
Monday was an interesting day. The students did not want to
stay on task. Every period was generally chatty. I had a headache all day. But
it seems like that is what teaching is all about. Sometimes the students didn't
want to stay on task. That is understandable. I remember not wanting to do work
at that age, but I try to make the lessons as fun as possible. I hope tomorrow is better.
Tuesday was very similar to Monday; the students talked
through every class. One thing that stuck out the most today, was that one
of my students loaned me her book that she suggested to me on Friday. I think
that goes a long way when you’re a kid and you trust someone with your
possessions. I told her I would try to finish the book before I leave. I also
found that even though you think you have a lot planned it is not always
enough. Most of the kids sped through the work I had planned for them.
Thankfully, I had a writing prompt planned for them to complete towards the end
of class. I found that sometimes you need a backup plan. I am excited to try
out the activities I have planned for tomorrow.
Wednesday
The students were so chatty today. They really did not want
to stay on task. I find that I am really struggling with finding fun
activities. However, the students are really working well with the material. It
is exciting to see their faces light up when they know the answer or when I joke with them.
Thursday
Today the kids were a lot better. I think it is because it's getting closer to the weekend. They were generally on task for the most
part. I believe it was because the notes were not very long. I had to change my
lesson plan at the last minute to catch the students up on vocabulary. I felt
we were lagging behind in that department and focusing too much on Grammar. I
am really excited for our games tomorrow and I know the kids will like them
too. I had a problem in my last class with the usual trouble maker. My CT
talked to him as I did and he really doesn’t know why he’s acting up just in my
class. Maybe it’s because he wants the wrong kind of attention, but I will
continue to work with him. I don’t want him out in the hall the entire time he still needs to be able to learn
Friday
Today, the students were very talkative. They loved the vocabulary games we played in class. However, they also could not keep their noise level down. My CT told one class, very loudly, that she would not ever play games with her after I leave ever again. It was a Friday and the students were squirrel-y because of this I was a bit lenient with the students on them being over hyper. They really wanted to read their Buckabee character stories and they were really fun to hear. I also made a project for the one period I can't teach vocabulary to because another teacher does.
This week the professional teaching standard that I applied to my lessons this week was Learning Environment, which states: "The competent teacher uses an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation." I found that this was the case for this week as I really wanted to make a learning environment that was fun and engaging and I felt that I did well with that.
Courtney
It was interesting that you had a chatty class on Monday and Tuesday. You did not discuss what you did to address this problem (or wasn't it a problem for you). Yet I feel your blog left me wondering what you taught and how that went for you. I'm glad you learned about having a back up plan - something which is essential for a teacher.
ReplyDeleteI'm still not learning a lot about what you are teaching and how you are teaching it. Is one of your goals for students to have fun? I'm wondering what best practices you are using in your teaching.
I'm getting the feeling that you don't have good control of your class. Do they automatically get a game on Friday or do they have to earn it?
Hello, I have realized that over the course of 7 weeks I have not talked about exactly what I have taught for that day, but how that day went in terms of teaching. I believe the reason that this happened was because when I am reflecting for the day I try to separate my lesson plan reflections from my blog. I will make more of an effort to tell exactly what I am teaching in my blog in my next placement. Please let me know if anything else is not clear. I appreciate your insight on my blog and your comments make me think about what I do and why I am doing it. I have realized that classroom control is one of my main issues. This is something that I would like to work on in my next placement. Thank you
Delete