Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekly Reflection 6

Hello,
This was my last week full time teaching. However, it was not a good week for me. I came to question if teaching is really for me. This is something that I am praying about and hope to find the answer during my second placement.

Monday:
The students were continually making noises and not paying attention to the final day of notes. I found it hard for me to really  be patient with the students. I have to prep the students for the tests they have this week. This formal assessment will tell me know how I did teaching the material.

Tuesday:
Today, was just one of those days where from the moment you wake up you just want go to bed. The kids were giving me a headache from talking so much. It was very frustrating. I would say that the funniest thing is that my students wanted to know my first name, so I used that as motivation for them to stay on task. I told them they could not use my first name until they graduated from high school though.

Wednesday:
 Today, I was able to help the principal fix the projector in a meeting. It was very good for her to see me computer savy. Other than that, I had a horrible day. Today, I am truly questioning if teaching is for me. I realized that these students don’t want to do the work and do not care what I think about their work ethic. It made me wonder, if they don’t care; why should I? I guess I’m just getting really frustrated with telling them to stop doing something and they keep doing it anyway. I feel like I can only repeat myself so much. I don’t want to give detentions, because I know they won’t do anything. The same student will just do the same thing tomorrow. I’m so tired of repeating myself. I have woken up each day this week and not once have I been excited to go to school. I want a job where I will be excited to go to work. I don’t feel that right now and it kind of scares me to be honest.
Thursday:
The students were not as chatty today, mostly due to taking the test. However, I am extremely overwhelmed with grading. It just keeps piling up. I hope that I can get some work done this weekend.

Friday:
Today was a shortened  day  I was able to do a lesson where I read to the students but did not finish all of the directions for every class. They ate it up. I believe that no matter what age the students always want to be read to. I am more than excited to see what writing they come up with on Monday.

I am praying that this was just a bad week and not a feeling of despair that stays with me.

Courtney 

2 comments:

  1. Courtney.

    I really think you need to focus on your students' behavior. You need to figure out how to get them to behave they way you want them to. I'm sorry they aren't cooperating the best. Are you setting clear expectations?

    Have you talked with your teacher about the issues you are having? Does she have suggestions?

    I'm hoping your despair doesn't win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are facing some challenges. Remember, teaching isn't necessarily easy for good teachers, but they have learned how to suceed in the face of those challenges. In your next placement, I am sure you will face challenges too, but see if you can rise to them and overcome them -- then see how you feel. I am, of course, confident that you can do this.

    ReplyDelete