Sunday, September 2, 2012

Weekly Reflection 2

Week of August 27
Hello,
This week I kept a notation of what happened everyday in class. Below you will find my thoughts from the day and my commentary for what to expect for the next week. 
---------
Monday, August 27th
-Today, I mostly worked on the DOL and planning with my cooperating teacher. The students were a bit talkative towards the end of the day, but that is understandable. However, I am quiet nervous about teaching next week. I am worried that the students will not warm up to me and my lesson will be a dud. I got a bit of feedback from my cooperating teacher and she said that I did fine with the DOL. She also gave me a few of the resources to begin building for my own teaching library. I am interested to see what tomorrow will bring.

Tuesday, August 28th
-Today, I made a seating chart in order to get better acquainted with the students in my classes. I also made copies for my cooperating teacher. I was also able to actually see my cooperating teacher begin teaching. I found out that my teacher wanted me to start my observation lesson on Friday so I could work some of the kinks out of the lesson. I am nervous about the first time teaching. I feel that as I get closer to actually teaching on my own it makes me anxious as I have not taught for over a year being abroad last semester. My cooperating teacher gave me time to plan during the day for my lesson on Friday and next week. So, I made a worksheet and the vocabulary game I have planed for the lesson. A few funny things that happened today: One of my students said, "The 90's were the good old days." He was born in 1999. Also, one of my students when asked to read, read with expression that is sounded much like a drama club try out. I think one of my favorite things about working with the 7th grade is the humor they bring to the classroom.

Wednesday, August 29th 
-Today the students took  notes, I worked on the DOL with the students, and I received more planning books so I can prepare to take over the classroom. 

Thursday, August 30th
-Today, I realized there is a lot of repeating that happens. I have one class that I have to prepare for, which makes planning a bit simple. However, when observing it makes watching the same lesson over, and over a bit painful. I'm sure it will change when I'm in front and not all of the students are the same. Tonight is Open House. It will be interesting to meet the parents of my students. I have noticed that the students do look lethargic when listening. I talked my CT (cooperating teacher) about this; she said that that happens a lot in the classroom and sometimes you have to jar the students attention. That made me come to the question: How do I make Language Arts exciting? 

Thursday, August 30th - Open House
-There were only about 30 parents who came out of the 150 students in the 7th grade. The parents listened to my CT tell them about the class, very few of them had questions. Most of the parents were very friendly. There was not much to the Open House itself, but it was more of a learning experience for me.

Friday, August 31st
I taught my lesson today. It went O.K. I guess. There are plenty of kinks I need to work out. The kids enjoyed the fly swatter vocabulary game. I found that I really need to work on classroom control. I also found that I tend to be timid in a classroom that I can not call my own. I talked with my CT about this and she said that her classroom is as much hers as it is mine. I think that knowing that will help me with my lesson next week. I will make the necessary changes for the next week.
---------
I hope to learn more about classroom management and how to keep the students engaged in the lesson. The major concept that I learned this week was that I do not like talking about the students. It seems to happen a lot among the teachers and I can't help but wonder what if my former teachers did this to me as a young 7th grade student. Considering how hard a time I had in Middle School another person talking about me is not what I needed. I found that I thoroughly enjoy eating in the classroom by myself instead of the teacher's lounge. 

This upcoming week I hope to learn more about developing my own teaching style as well as implement Illinois professional standards #4 Planning for Instruction and  #6 Instructional Delivery. This week, I am planning on learning a lot about myself, as well as my students. 

 Courtney 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an interesting week. You are learning a lot about your students. I am glad you are asking good questions of your cooperating teacher as well.

    I hope your first lessons go really well.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete